Don’t worry, it’s easy.
Before using your fusti for the first time, rinse well with hot water and air dry—no detergents or soap please.
Protect Your Olive Oil from Heat, Light and Oxygen
The freshness of extra virgin olive oil is primarily impacted by light, heat, oxygen and time. Take care to keep your fusti in a place that does not heat up from the sun, cooking or dishwasher heat.
Tips for Fresh Tasting Olive Oil
- Never add new, fresh oil to older oil that is already in the fusti
- Do not use any detergents as they can cause an off-flavor even if you think you have rinsed them thoroughly
- Each time you run out of olive oil, there may be a natural sediment in the bottom of the fusti. Rinse the fusti well with hot water to remove the sediment and air dry
Do This Every Few “Oil Changes”
We suggest using citric acid mixed with water every few times you change the oil. This helps keep your fusti free from the smell of “old oil.” Citric acid is easy to use and readily available online and at most hardware stores. Follow these instructions:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of citric acid in a quart of water
- Rinse your fusti with this solution—you can swirl it or sponge it (using a clean sponge), as you prefer
- Make sure to let the solution run through the spigot
- Rinse the fusti well with hot water, running the hot water through the spigot also
- Air dry
- Fill with Pacific Sun Farms extra virgin olive oil and enjoy!
Follow our suggestions above to ensure that the extra virgin olive oil you buy stays fresh and delicious in your fusti!
If you have other questions, please contact us.